Recipe of traditional restaurant style delicious and aromatic ‘Chicken Handi’.
Its called ‘Handi’ because it is cooked in a vessel called ‘Handi’ which is made up of clay / terracotta or sometimes metal. But it can be cooked in any kind of pan and for authentic look, usually served in a Handi.
Chicken Handi Recipe
- 700 grams boneless chicken cubes
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 3-4 green chilies, julliened
- ½ cup oil
- 1.5 tsp red chili powder
- 3 cloves of garlic, fine chopped
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped cumin
- An inch piece of ginger, julienned
- 1 onion, julienned and fried golden brown
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground fenugreek seeds / methi dana
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 4 tbsp fresh cream
- Salt to taste
- a handful of chopped coriander
- Heat oil in a wok (or handi)
- Sauté garlic till tender.
- Add tomatoes and fried onion and stir-fry.
- Add salt, red chili powder, turmeric and mix well.
- Add Chicken and stir-fry till chicken turns white.
- Cover and cook till meat is tender.
- Now add coarsely ground coriander and cumin and yogurt.
- Stir-fry for few minutes.
- Add green chilies, ginger, garam masala and fenugreek powder. Stir-fry.
- Add in little water if it’s too thick and heat up a bit.
- Stir in fresh cream and mix well till handi is heated through.
- garnish with julienned ginger and chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with naan and salad.
Reference : flavour-essence.blogspot.com/2016/11/chicken-handi.html